Old October 3rd 04, 05:49 PM
Hunt

In article , maw888@aol.
comnospam says...

Hi, I'm looking for a skilled amateur photographer based in Los Angeles that
will be able to do occasional fashion product shots for a website I run. Our
budget is limited, so we're trying to find someone that will work
inexpensively, perhaps a photography student or hobbiest.

Can anyone suggest a good directory (on or offline) of talented amateur
photographers, or suggest how I might go about finding the right person?

You might want to contact the local ASMP [American Society of Media
Photographers] chapter and have a look at their "assistant's list." Most of
these folk are very serious photographers, who are just starting out. Most
would be highly qualified to do the work you describe, and at much lower rates
than their employers can, or will. For many, it could be a portfolio building
experience, however, these folk will not be "hobbyests," but trained
professionals, with less experience and equipment. Expect to pay decent rates,
but less than, say I would charge for the same project.

You will be dealing with professionals, and the end result should show that
attention to detail, and quality.

Beyond that, you might contact art-school classes, or just put an
advertisement up in major photo shops, rental darkroom/studio facilities, and
take your chances.

Good luck,
Hunt