Old September 13th 07, 05:04 AM posted to aus.photo,fr.rec.photo,rec.photo.digital
mirafiori

Default You can with a Nikon, not with a Canon ;-))

it's not the camera does the trick but the flash. any flash with very short
duration including your SB 800 could do the trick working with a canon
camera or any camera. of course you need the understanding of how to trigger
the flash on.

"Sosumi" wrote in message
Hack the flash so you synch at 1/4000 !!!
I did it with the D40. Normal synch is already good at 1/500, but I want
the camera to do what I want, not what he wants. So yesterday I got my new
SB 800 flash, very nice and fantastic features, like max. distance of over
50 meters!
Everything automatic, even the zoom up to 105 mm works together with the
lens and if the camera goes standby or you turn it of, so does the flash.

I had just finished the book (125 pages) and tried everything out. OK it
works as a slave and everything you can want in a flash: it has got it!
But I stay bothered by the max flash synch at 1/500. Why the heck is that?
I remember when I had the D80, it flashed at any speed I choose, with the
internal flash.
So I found something on the net: tape all contacts of the camera or flash
with paper or tape, except the middle one.

Thatīs all. The camera thinks it has no flash and all automatic stuff is
gone, but the flash DOES fire!! So I was able to FREEZE falling water from
the tap in the kitchen. Very cool!!

You just have to play with the aperture and the amount of flash a little.
But itīs digital, so you can fool around as much as necesary.

I did read most Canon cameraīs canīt do this trick. Except maybe the older
ones or more/most expensive. But lemme know if itīs not true!
Also: show some pictures with what you can freeze here.