Old January 14th 18, 09:22 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eco Clean

Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

- Jonathan N. Little wrote:

There are freeware vector graphics programs available. I listed some,

Bearing in mind that my x-acto knife is the final "vector" program, I did
install Inkscape and wrote up my observations from the first half hour of
testing.

These are in my observation log...

This is a suggested vector-based Windows pgm for printing signs.
https://inkscape.org/en/release/0.92.2/

I installed the msi.
Installs Python 2.7

The first time you run it, it takes *minutes* to start.
Inkscape won't input powerpoint but does input images and PDF.

It doesn't do automatic alignment marks either.
Nor does it do automatic borders for non-printable areas.
Nor does it tile when I print although there may be a trick to tiling?

All that is exactly like PowerPoint was so it's not different in those ways
The ony thing different is that it's vector based so scaling is better.

But if I'm forced to use Rasterbator to tile the Inkscape signs, then I
lost my advantage of vectors anyway, plus, an x-acto knife is a vector
tool.

So I don't see any advantage for the purpose of signs to be used as cut-out
templates, but for *direct printing*, the vectors would be nice.

But then you *still* have to solve the problem of tiling, which I see
nothing in Inkscape that has *anything* to do with tiling.

Do you?
Did I miss a tiling option somewhere in Inkscape?