Old February 14th 11, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Thor Lancelot Simon

Default Lens Cell Cleaning

From my use, it's a very nice lens given a bad rap mainly because it
was sold at a low price as a "novice lens". Who wants that when you can
buy a pro lens? :P

Well, at least in the 1990s when the question arose for me, it was more
like "who wants that when you can buy a nice clean used Commercial Ektar"?

Though, actually, knowing what I know now, I'd have gone for a 203/7.7
or a WF Ektar instead, if I were shopping in the Geronar price range
and could only afford one lens.

I suspect most of these that were ever sold were sold with the
Calumet/Cambo kits that bundled them with a moderately priced monorail
camera. I learned with exactly such a kit and it was perfectly good.
But when it came time to buy my own equipment I was strongly advised to
buy a quality used lens instead of a new Geronar, and I think that was
the right advice to give.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others." - H.L.A. Hart