Old October 28th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

Default Washed out signs

On 2006-10-28 10:15:21 -0400, Bob M said:

I am using a Kodak Z650 Zoom camera to try to make copies of old 35mm slides.
The results so far have been poor. I project the slides using a projector to a
screen about 4 feet from the projector and camera. On the subject photo, I can
see 2 signs on the bridge when looking at the screen. One says "Claremont, NH"
the other is something about a 20,000 pound load limit. I reduced the ISO to
80, the minimum. Set "High Sharpness". Tried Aperture priority set to maxmim
number (smallest opening). Tried shutter priority at 1/2 and 1 second. I use a
2 second delay so I don't shake the tripod}. The camera is set to 6 MP, and if
I shoot a test shot of text printed on a piece of paper where the text is the
same size as the signs, it comes out readable.
Any suggestions?

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bob-m1...e2.jpg&.src=ph

-----------

Remove

"not" for return address.

Best way... invest in a film scanner, either a dedicated film scanner
or very recent model flatbed with slide/film scanning capability.
Second best (read expensive) send your slides out to be scanned.
Projecting a slide to photograph it introduces too many variables to
ever get a decent reproduction. (Quality of the projector lenses, lack
of flatness of field, too high a light contrast (as you have seen),
texture of the projected surface etc. etc. ) Back before digital the
slide was photographed with a camera with a slide copy attachment (A
belllows or rigid tube) attached. A frame held the slide and light was
shone through the slide. Either special slide copy film was used (which
had much lower contrast than normal film) or copy negative file was
used if the goal to was to make a large print. Digital scanning is the
way to do this. Suitable scanners can be had for under 300 USD these
days.

Jim
--
Jim