Old May 20th 17, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default X-T2 @ Yosemite Today SOOC

On Thu, 18 May 2017 22:21:45 -0700, Savageduck
On 2017-05-19 04:55:46 +0000, Eric Stevens said:
On Fri, 19 May 2017 11:43:07 +1200, Eric Stevens
On Wed, 17 May 2017 21:56:22 -0700, Savageduck
On 2017-05-18 04:49:46 +0000, Bill W said:
On Thu, 18 May 2017 00:37:33 -0400, PeterN
wrote:
On 5/18/2017 12:07 AM, Bill W wrote:
On Thu, 18 May 2017 15:55:30 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

There is more to it than that. The colors look slightly off and the
lightin is peculiar. I have had a quick go at one of your shots with
Photoshop although this required dabbling in unfamiliar territory. See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6dbcdd34m...3-EES.jpg?dl=0

Now the sky is purple...

Hmm.
Talk about ambiguity.
Song, or LGBT?

Nah, I'm a boring person. It's neither, just an objective comment. I
wish I could do better...

Here is the RAF if you care to try.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pj7bmsr7vabc9dt/_DSF4603.raf

For some reason none of my (up todate) Adobe CC software can open that
file. :-(

I downloaded it once more and this time it works. Here is quick dash
with Light Room. I used the dehaze filter and some fiddling with color
temperature.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3kaynb57vi...-4603.jpg?dl=0

I understand that you just used dehaze and temperature adjustments, but
the entire color balance seems out of whack to me. I also understand
that you haven't visited Yosemite, and are not familiar with the
character of the rock in the Sierra.

The dehaze does a contrast push which emphasizes saturation. Then add,
what to my eye is way too much warming, and it becomes unnatural and
garish. When I said that is was a subdued, and overcast day I meant it.

What about this one? I've touched nothing which directly affects the
color. No dehaze. No saturation. Basically all that I affected was the
luminance. https://www.dropbox.com/s/35bheu8pon...4603a.jpg?dl=0

This is a rendition which to my eye works. As I said in another
response to Peter, the haze/mist deep in the valley was an integral
part of the scene that day and to try to fix all of the haze throws the
entire image off balance. There is nothing with this rendition that
appears to disturb the scene with regard to color balance, saturation,
vibrance, or sharpening.

I would say that if one would care to try for an "Adamsesque" B&W
rendition, this version would be a pretty good starting point.

This appears to me to be significantly different from the original
SOOC image.

It is.

Just for the fun of it, I set one of my monitors up to sRGB and left
the other at AdobeRGB. I edited the image first on AdobeRGB and then
viewed it on sRGB. I didn't like it at all. I then had to re-edit it
on sRGB which improved it but it did not look quite the same as the
original AdobeRGB. The major changes were in colour temperature. I
much preferred the AdobeRGB version but as few people will have their
monitors set up for that, this one is the sRGB.

Anyway, you have the RAF to play with, see where a different approach
might lead you.

Savageduck