Old May 13th 17, 05:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default Should I buy a 6D or 5D4?

On 5/13/2017 8:24 AM, -hh wrote:
PeterN wrote:
In my diving days, I used a Nikkormat in a housing with a 20mm lens, and

a housed strobe.

IIRC, the Nikonos V was circa 1977 (40th anniversary this year?), so stuff
earlier than that is really quite ... vintage!

I guess that was FF, and I had a lot of fun. For all

practical purposes there is a very little chance that I will get wet
again. I do miss that blue Ecktachrome look.

Yes, 35mm film would've considered FF. Coincidentally, a guy on the
boat just yesterday had an old Nikonos V with the Nikkor 15mm and the
(Replacemeant for the SB-103) SB-105 strobe...he thinks he got a nice
shot of a fat blacktip...mine came out a bit too dark/blue, as the modern
digital stuff isn't as condusive to default settings (particularly focus),
which can/does result in shutter AF lag.

And you're right about the Ecktachrome "look": sure, in theory it
should be able to be duplicated, but that's not necessarily a trvial task.
Doubly so for the specialty UW Ecktachrome that Kodak made for a few
years, where one had to add a filter to your strobe.

And sunbursts are still not as good/easy with digital vs film, as the (non)linearity
aspects of the two are *quite* different...and not something all that recoverable in post.

-hh

I don't think I ever got the quintessential UW sunburst.

--
PeterN