Old September 17th 11, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Pete A

Default [SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

On 2011-09-17 16:58:15 +0100, Robert Coe said:

[...]
PeterA 1
The more I look at this, the less I dislike it, but my eyes still keep trying
to get the water in focus. I guess it doesn't quite work for me, although it
incorporates some intriguing colors. (How much of the color is genuine?)

Thanks for you comments, Bob.

I agree about the water. The simple techniques I tried didn't work so
I'll dream up something more complex to throw at it.

Not even one colour is genuine, including black, grey and white.

PeterA 2
The subject matter I can take or leave, but the photographer's meticulous
attention to the composition makes this picture work. Every element is exactly
where it ought to be.

That is very useful feedback.

It's technically correct too, under difficult conditions.

The sky brightness and hue were changing quickly. I took a shot every
minute until I got this one.

PeterA 3
I don't like this one as well. The foreground boats are hard to pick up, and
there's too much glare in the sky. More broadly, it's hard to tell what the
actual subject is.

Fair comments. The 1 metre wide canvas print I had made looks a lot better.

The glare in the sky is caused by a combination of river mist and
diesel exhaust fumes. I like the eerie feel it gives.

In case anyone is interested, I took a series of exposures to find the
contrast range of this scene. Brightest light to darkest shadow is
about 30000 to 1 (15 f-stops). I spent ages removing lens ghosts.