Old April 4th 15, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Default Nikon "Coolpix P900"

On 3/18/2015 2:45 AM, Rich A wrote:
On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 7:42:03 PM UTC-4, Bill W wrote:
On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 16:27:53 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Tuesday, 17 March 2015 16:44:04 UTC-4, John Turco wrote:
The Nikon "Coolpix P900" will be released in April of 2015, at a MSRP of
around $600.00 USD. This camera has an incredible optical zoom of 83x
(24mm-2000mm, in 35mm terms).

Personally, although the P900 is rather tempting, I think I'll hold out
for 100x.

John

It's all junk. $600.00 for a P&S that'll be worth $200 if you try to sell it a month later.

At the same time, no one buys this sort of thing as an investment. All
that matters is the image quality. In this case, though, I assume it's
going to have a pretty tiny sensor with that kind of zoom range.
Anything outside of a bright, sunny day is going to be a problem. Or
maybe it's got a really, really, bright flash...

None of it is revolutionary. They've had video cameras with that kind of zoom range for over a decade. Having said that, some of these cameras have had reasonably good lenses, given their crazy zoom ranges.

By the way, judging from several customer reviews, "B&H"
http://www.bhphotovideo.com was actually selling the P900 in March.

John