Old December 22nd 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH [email protected]

Default Digital Photo Frames for refrigirators??

We have an employee with some of those fancy stainless steel
appliances. She says magnets don't stick.
Then it's not stainless steel.

Some grades of stainless steel aren't magnetic. Depends on how much
nickel is in it, I gather.

No, how much chromium. Low chromium makes it magnetic.

Yes, you're right there is type of stainless called "Austenitic" that,
in the right conditions, is non magnetic. Slap it with a hammer (or
other tooling) and it becomes quite attracted to magnets, however.

The vast majority of stainless steels are nonmagnetic ("300 series"
such as 304 or 316) as opposed to magnetic ones ("400 series".

By nonmagnetic I mean nonFERROmagnetic ... they are all strongly
paramagnetic.

Doug McDonald