Old January 25th 04, 07:33 PM
Tom Phillips

Default nose/eye fume irritation and cheap ventilation

wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 06:11:06 +0000, Tom Phillips

I have to wonder if at 1:31 anyone would notice much of an oder even from
F-5 .

jan2504 from Lloyd Erlick,

I doubt it. Only while mixing it, and diluting it.

In a practical vein, F-6 is entirely odorless. It's a conventional
acid fixer, it's cheap and pretty easy to mix. The ingredient mixing
order in the usual instructions for F6 advise adding the acid before
the alkali; if this is reversed, no odor (sulfur dioxide) is released
at all. I've done it both ways many times; changing the order of
mixing does not change the fixer.

F6 is great because if you omit the hardener (haven't used it in
decades; modern materials don't seem to need it, at least for hand
processing) then the acid is unnecessary (it's there to give the
hardener an acid environment). F6 turns into 'plain' fix pretty
easily.

I don't disagree. But hardener or not Rapid Fix is by far the "easiest" to
mix and use, especially for film where I want as fast a clearing time as
possible.