Old June 17th 10, 08:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jane Galt

Default Best Coolpix for HD and low light too?

"Neil Harrington" wrote :

"Jane Galt" wrote in message
. ..
I'd like to consider a newer purse sized Coolpix. I have the 4500 which
is nice, but not exactly purse sized.

I like to do a bit of low-light shooting without flash, so it looks
like the
S8000 isnt up to that, though the 10x optical zoom sounds nice.

I enjoy mostly scenery and non-flash shots of our shoulder pet birds.

My purse cam is now a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-S750 but the image quality
isnt as
nice as the Coolpix. I suspect Nikon makes better quality lenses?

So suggestions?

I need to keep this in the under $300 street price range.

Of the current crop of Coolpixes, the S640 looks about the best for your
purposes. Its lens is a relatively fast f/2.7 at the short end and it
also has Nikon's "4-way VR" -- both of which will help in low-light
shooting. The "4-way VR" is actually a combination of optional features
and includes Nikon's exclusive Best Shot Selector feature, by itself a
big help in low-light shooting (BSS lets you hold the shutter release
down for up to 10 shots, then saves the sharpest one; since
slow-shutter-speed shots usually vary a lot in sharpness, this helps a
great deal). Also part of the "4-way VR" is the camera's offering auto
ISO settings up to 6400 -- great for low light, though at the cost of
increased noise. I have found high-ISO settings very useful in Coolpixes
despite the increased noise, but I may be more tolerant of noise in
photos than some other people.

I don't have that particular model myself so can't speak about it from
experience, but I do have a gaggle of other relatively recent Coolpixes
and have consistently fine results from them all. The S640 has a MSRP of
$219.95, so street price should certainly be no more than that. And it
is very compact -- no problem at all for your purse, you could carry two
or three there if you wanted to.

Before coming back here to see this, I've been loking around, and am very
tempted by the Powershot SD4000IS now, except for the price. Whew. Then the
Coolpix S8000 is PHAT too. sigh What to do, what to do....

--
- Jane Galt