Old August 29th 04, 06:05 PM
Frank ess

Mark M wrote:
"ABC" wrote in message
Am I just imagining things? I find that in many low light situations
(e.g. indoor with just normal house lights) digital camera can at
least take a picture and show you the image when a film camera cannot
, eventhough the DC is set to the same ISO as the film.

Why?

Because you can amplify the signal in the sensor data FAR beyond what
is first presented upon viewing. Once the film has been processed,
you can't squeeze much more out of it. Any pushing would need to be
done in the chemical development of the film.

I have pushed images out from digital shots that were literally BLACK
upon first inspection, and come up with very identifiable subjects.

So... With digital, you get to push or pull-process in real time.
Shooting in RAW mode allows for AMAZING recoveries of shots that are
poorly metered.

The distance and dark overwhelmed the Nikon CP995 on-camera flash:
http://www.fototime.com/5D645419D962B5C/orig.jpg

Photo Shop (Equalize?) revived it:
http://www.fototime.com/F7D8298AA135794/orig.jpg

Amazing what detail was in the murk:
http://www.fototime.com/CDE634F124A2E9B/orig.jpg

A second, even more obscure exposu
http://www.fototime.com/ECDE0CBEA6757FF/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/7BBC1C3BAC5CE19/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/2FCF2F544AD6A91/orig.jpg

Just for information, the little dog would not give up, so my next move
was to grab the garden hose and spray both participants, who retreated
to their "safe" places with only minor exchange of essences. Several
years later the black-and-white family still lives nearby, and we have
all learned to accommodate each others' preferences.

--
Frank ess