Old March 18th 18, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

Default There are two truisms in the computer world:

On 2018-03-18 11:03, David Taylor wrote:
On 17/03/2018 21:12, Carlos E.R. wrote:
[] I don't know when there are updates to do. The computer is normally
running Linux, windows is not booted unless really needed, once a month
or less. As I can not enable or disable the updates, I boot in Windows
only when I have time to spare.

Instead, most of the times I use a virtual Windows machine.

For comparison, a full Windows Upgrade (which I do once or twice a week
as new "Insider" versions come out) typically take less than three hours
on a nine-year-old dual core laptop with just 2 GB memory.Â* That's with
a 117 GB SSD with 70 GB free.

3 hours?

My experience is that Linux updates much faster in the same hardware. I
don't understand why Windows is so slow at updating itself. With fast
internet it can take hours to download, with virtually nil network
activity but high cpu load. What is the problem? Just download the file
in seconds, replace the libraries, done.

Maybe they think that I can be doing other things on the computer while
it updates, but that's not the case. I want to boot, update, power off,
fast, and take the road. At a time of my choosing, not their choosing.

Just talking, doesn't matter :-)

There are plenty of ways to delay or reschedule Windows updates - search
Google.

I did, just not recently. It was not possible or difficult on the Home
version. What some people do is adjust the house DNS so that the update
servers do not resolve, LOL.

The Windows updates are sent out on the second Tuesday of the month, so
perhaps running Windows on the day after every month might be a good idea.

Ah, didn't know that.

3 hours is for a full Windows upgrade - a major upgrade, like Win-8 to
Win-10 - the monthly updates take minutes.Â* The updates can be
downloaded in the background, just leave the PC running.

Yes, most of the updates go fast enough.

But that "downloading in the background" I do not like much, as compared
to "download now at top network speed". Something is not right.

--
Cheers, Carlos.