Old May 10th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter Chant

Default Pentax dumps medium format

Charlie Self wrote:

x-posted to rpe35mm as the early quoted text plus my bit at the end is
definitely relevant:

On May 9, 5:48?pm, RichA wrote:
On May 9, 5:39 pm, Peter Chant wrote:

RichA wrote:
"On top of this, Pentax will continue to overhaul less profitable
businesses. It will abandon the development of medium-format single-
lens reflex cameras designed for professional photographers and
specialize in digital SLR offerings for new and intermediate users."

So what MF digital players will there be? ??Not sure who it up to what.
Won't affect me practically as this is seriously above my price bracket
- but interesting to know.

Apart from the lens costs, there is a chance we might see a medium
format in an affordable package at some point.
Mind you, $5000 would be affordable for those things. The cost of the
sensors (owing to quality spec and size) vastly eclipses the mass-
market sensors in the DSLRs.

I probably can't afford to, but at 5K, I might just grab a 645D. The
problem then comes with the obligatory four or five lenses.

Well, combine that with the post in another NG:

looks like you are running out of luck. :-(

Looks like they've no plan to do anything high end in 35mm based digital.
OK, so I might not want to go for the big bucks in 35mm digital at the
moment but it is nice to know there is always a future upgrade path if
wanted - without having to start again from scratch.

I've a reasonable selection of I believe reasonable, although perhaps not
top notch manual focus lenses in 35mm Pentax fit which would be a useful
resource to have if I were to go digital. For example - I have a Tokina
500mm mirror lens (bought for the 1999 eclipse), use this a few times a
year, nice to have on hand just in case and really don't want to get
another if I change system.

Pete

---- Copy of post from rec.photo-equipment.medium-format

Pentax UK *- med format disc