Old June 7th 06, 03:06 AM posted to comp.graphics.algorithms,rec.photo.digital

Default 'Magic' kernel for image zoom resampling?

wrote in message
oups.com...
SNIP
Anyhow, thanks in advance for any words of advice. And apologies
in advance if I've rediscovered someone's magic kernel, as is bound
to be the case.

John, you might want to also post your question to
news://sci.image.processing, some knowledgeable folks there and the
tone of voice is reasonable. I've yet to test your kernel on e.g. a
zone-plate type of target, like I used for my informal/empirical
verdict on proper down-sampling:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~bvdwolf/main/foto/down_sample/down_sample.htm.
Objectively quantifying the resulting quality is probably beyond my
capabilities, unless you have a suggestion for further research.

Obviously this was intended to inform about down-sampling pitfalls
only, since down-sampling is becoming more of a common process as the
average sensor array increases in size/sampling density.

As an aside, last night I saw a feature on TV following a new approx.
3 hour documentary on the JFK assassination by (apparently) James
Files rather than Lee Harvey Oswald (who was in the documentary
assumed to be an undercover CIA operative), based on the extensive
research of fellow Dutchman Wim Dankbaar, a Dutch researcher
fascinated by the conspiracy, murder, and cover-up of this factual
coup-d'etat. Lot's of new (to me anyway) details were uncovered,
including an interview with James Files who revealed a lot of
verifiable specifics about how he as a backup Mob hitman fired the
lethal head shot with a mercury filled bullet with a "Remington Arms
Fireball XP-100" from behind the fence at the grassy knoll
(http://www.jfkmurdersolved.com/filestruth.htm).

Bart