Old August 23rd 05, 04:06 AM
MarkČ

"Mike Warren" wrote in
message eenews.net...
MarkČ wrote:
In Brazil, we had a "hot box" for sensitive electronic equipment like
video cameras, etc.
All it consisted of was a wooden box, a hinged door, and a standard
light bulb that always stayed lit in side. This would basically keep
it relatively dry inside and free of mold, condensation, etc.
Worked a charm.

That worked well for me in Auckland, but in a hot humid environment
like Cairns the temperature needs to be kept down as well. Excessive
heat will shorten the life of the electrolytic capacitors.

I store my camera gear in an area which is usually airconditioned.

It wasn't particularly "hot" in the box, but it was enough to get rid of
excess moisture.
We also used little cans of stuf that collected balls of water in it...the
name of the stuff escapes me.
-Periodically, you'd have to dump the water out, being careful not to spill
any of it inside...since any residue/dust of the substance would actually
cause water to visibly collect whatever it settled on.
--Weird substance, that.