Old May 28th 10, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
SMS

Default Canon and Panasonic: updated models

On 28/05/10 3:41 AM, F wrote:

snip

The temptation to wait for the next new iteration, however, was never
very strong. I was just concerned that if I bought today and a new one
was announced tomorrow I might just have missed something that was
'better'. Note the *might*!

We're really at the point now where there's not going to be any
significant improvements unless there is some new sensor technology that
emerges. Other than SLRs with larger sensors, even the megapixel wars
seem to have mostly ended because the manufacturers don't want to
further reduce the high ISO performance or increase noise. Also, what
often happens is the replacement model is worse than the one it
replaces, not better, because features that are deemed too costly are
removed, i.e. optical viewfinder, articulated LCD, etc.

The interchangeable lens non-DSLRs are the new market segment that Sony
and the Micro 4:3 consortium is trying to promote but it's unclear that
there's any demand for such a system that lacks many of the advantages
of D-SLRs, and addresses only the question of physical size.