Old December 21st 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

Default Replacing leather handle (was Busch Pressman...)

"John J" wrote in message
m...
Stephan Goldstein wrote:

It was a snowy afternoon and I had nothing planned, so I went at it.

I filed the designated sacrificial screwdriver until it was a good
fit into the retaining screws. They came out easily and the back
lifted right out. The bearing surfaces were cruddy with dried
lubricant, which I cleaned up and replaced with new moly grease.
What a difference!

Thanks all for the encouragement.

It's always good to learn of a success. Congratulations!

It is zero Fahrenheit here right now. Got the walk shoveled, and now I'm
staring at a Deardorff 8x10 that needs a leather handle. I can make one.
But the two metal retaining strips are missing. I do not have a metal
bender (brake). And I can't find any split rivets.

Any ideas?

I'll save my unhappy comments about the Deardorff V8 for later.

Two suggestions -

If there is a Tandy's leather shop close by, pay them a visit and see what
they can do for you.

Or visit a shoe/leather repair shop. Perhaps they can figure out something.