Old April 28th 18, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Lightroom, MacBook with limited internal storage - how to work with several external USB sticks

In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

I have a MacBook - it has 512GB internal SSD which will be shared with
several users (family).

Start by being selfish and donšt share the MacBook with the family. Get the
family their own MacBook.

Lob us a couple of grand and you're on mate!

macbooks start at *under* $1000.

I would tend to load up a stick with 1-2 year's worth of originals, so I
would have sticks labelled:

2013-15
2015-17

etc depending on how many photos fit.

Not a good idea.

Is there any reasoning to that? Not being funny (or ungrateful to free
advice) - I just like to understand the "why"

it's a ****load of effort that is not only not needed, but begging to
cause all sorts of problems.

the best solution is smart previews, keeping a small proxy copy on the
macbook and the full resolution copy on a nas.

Lightweight portable drives are reasonably inexpensive today for work on the
road, and you have access to the LR CC Cloud storage. Also for work at home
the time has come to improve your NAS.

Maybe - but that's another project (I've just redone my home network and
Wifi and security - one project at a time

what project? buy a nas, add some drives, done. configuration takes a
few minutes and they can saturate a single gigabit link (some have
multiple gigabit ports which can be aggregated).

https://www.synology.com/
https://www.qnap.com/