Old June 27th 04, 01:15 AM
Mike Henley

Default Little review of the Olympus RC

Just got the Olympus RC..

POSITIVES...
very solid metal build quality; apart from the lens glass breaking I
can't see what harm can come to this camera. I have always been
puzzled by people who complained about the "plasticky" feel of the
Minox compared to the Rollei 35, but if the Rollei 35 (never handled
one) is like the Olympus RC then I understand now.

Can see both aperture and shutter settings in viewfinder.

Fully mechanical feel and operation. Fully manual operation including
aperture, focus, shutter and ASA.

B shutter mode and ability to use standard cable release. I have liked
the night photos that the olympus XA took with its meter and aperture
control automation.

Looks beautiful. Nice minimalist retro looks.
http://tuaupe.50megs.com/images/olympus_35rc.jpg

NEGATIVES...

uses mercury battery which is no longer available, not sure if
replacements are adequate. The batteries though are only needed for
the meter.

If you're used to the XA this is a considerably bigger camera and not
really as pocketable. I'm not sure that it's much smaller or lighter
than a pentax zx/mz-m. I am horrified though by the size of the
Yashica Electro 35 GSN compared to the Olympus RC.
http://www.barefoot.idv.tw/img_about...tro35_35rc.jpg

Over the XA, the RC offers a more solid build and a fully manual
override. Maybe also a slightly more professional impression as I can
only guess not many people below a certain age have commonly seen this
camera. Same can be said for the XA but the XA decidedly looks P&S or
like a little toy. Does anyone know if the Olympus RC has better
optics than the Olympus XA? The XA is certainly easier to use and more
pocketable, and somewhat cuter or more adorable.

This is my main complaint about it though, the aperture dial on the
lens is a little hard to turn ergonomically. Quite hard actually for
regular use, compared to the Minox or the XA. I think this is a camera
that probably encourages setting the aperture to a certain value and
varying the shutter speed, which is a little confusing for "sunny 16"
but probably makes sense. The shutter dial though is quite nice.

P.S. How does the Rollei 35 compare to the Olympus RC and the XA in
size? is it in between the two? to which is it closer?
Also, What camera comparable to the RC has the best optics with a
rangefinder and full manual? Does the Minolta 7sII have a better lens?