Old August 23rd 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

Default Compression in JPEG files in digital cameras

Thomas T. Veldhouse added these comments in the current
discussion du jour ...

Have it your way ... it is extremely difficult, not for the
faint of heart and everybody [except extremely advanced
individuals, such as myself] should just simply use JPEG ;-)

This is a fair statement and I respect you for recognizing that
not everone can be a superstar. I also appreciate some
corroboration that it is indeed some sort of "advanced"
individual who makes the jump from ordinary JPEG to 16-bit or to
RAW.

You know, I am not sure where you are trying to go with this
thread. Perhaps you want to legitimize your approach by
minimizing the 16-bit workflow including RAW that I mention.
Be my guest. But I don't think this thread has progressed, so
I am departing it.

I am not on any kind of soapbox except the First Amendment one
which give me the freedom and rights to do what I think is best
for me, as you do what is best for you, and all the others do the
same.

Ask the OP's opinion on the matter. The thread moved on, as
they usually do on USENET and does not and should not be
constrained to a scope arbitrarily imposed by you.

I don't seek out OPs. If, for any reasons good or bad they choose
not to come back in and provide more details on what they want to
do and why or to simply say "hey, guys, you're having a great
time but you've over my head, can you please tone it down some
and just get me over the hump to some reasonable prints of my
vacation this summer?" If the OP cannot or will not do that,
there isn't much any of us across any skill level can do to help
them.

And, I understand quite well, thank you, the way that threads
have a life of their own and I am attempting NO imposition of my
views, except when /I/ have a question or I feel I must defend my
honor. That has nothing at all to do with the OP who should take
care of themselves. I will say this, though, it is a rare, rare
thread in this or the SLR NG that start off with an innocent
novice OP that don't wind up sooner or later into some sort of
contest where people want to suggest that THEIR methods and
workflows are the only way. Life just isn't that way. I've
explained the purpose I use my images for enough times that I
shan't repeat them here, except to say that in general, I don't
personally give a rip about PPI or contest-quality images because
that isn't my bag. If people cannot deal with that, it is their
problem, not mine. And, so, yet another disagreement is coming to
an end because I am again tired of being harangued for not
wanting to be a Top Gun - the best of the best - when it comes to
digital photography. I more or less live by the motto that
whatever floats your boat is fine by me so long as it doesn't
swamp mine.

--
HP, aka Jerry