Old July 1st 14, 11:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Darkroom classes

In article , James Silverton
wrote:

I'd think
that those from wet chemistry and those from a digital printer could
easily be told apart, especially under a magnifying lens since there
would be discrete dots for the digital printer and irregular colored
areas from the wet process.

depends on the printer used.

if you use the same printer for both, that takes the printer variable
out of the equation.

you do realize that film prints are now done digitally, don't you?

and this isn't about pixel peeping anyway. even if you use a good
inkjet printer and wet chemistry, the viewer will still not be able to
tell which is which.

I'm not sure that I believe that but I suppose a negative can scanned
digitally and then printed with a digital printer. I did that a little
when I first started using a digital editing program. I must try to find
the files and have a careful look.

that probably won't tell you much since it greatly depends on the
printer and scanner and that you know which is which, biasing any
conclusion.

the proper way to test this is with an objective double-blind test,
where you're given a stack of prints and must decide which ones are
film and which ones are digital.

you'll score no better than chance.