Old May 21st 14, 05:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Opinions Wanted

On 2014-05-21 03:46:16 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

Some years ago I used my trusty D70 to take a photograph of a west
coast bay in rough conditions. Recently I've been trying to arrive at
a composition suitable for printing on matte paper in A2 size and
suitable for framing and hanging on a wall.

My present problem is that every member of my family has a different
idea of the best composition and in an attempt to bring peace I have
made three different versions. That hasn't really helped as I now have
three different sets of strong opinions.

I know that computer monitors are not ideal for viewing and proofing
prints of this kind but I am interested in gathering the opinions of
anyone in this newsgroup who is bold enough to state one. You can find
a JPG of each version in:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ok28ebd3p...M2OQuylz7CgFza

OK you asked for it:

#1 is OK except for the grass in the foreground. To me it has a chopped
off and careless crop feel to it.
#2 is too heavy on the right and has the same foreground issues as #1.
#3 has in my opinion the best balance of crop and preservation of
foreground, and does not have the over heavy right side.
#3 gets my vote as the one to go with.

BTW: That 18-70mm Nikkor is a very good and sharp lens considering it
was a kit lens and not particularly expensive. I still use mine from
time-to-time on my D300S. It is sharper than my 18-200mm VRII so if
called for....

Savageduck