Old October 23rd 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,aus.photo
Jeff R.

Default Jupiter

Troy Piggins wrote:
The astrophotography has been keeping me occupied lately. This
is my first attempt at planetary imaging. Lots to learn, I know.
Don't see much astrophotography here so thought I'd share.

Taken with a 8" f/10 scope with a 2.5x powermate (like a
teleconvertor) giving it an equivalent focal length of around
5000mm. Camera was a DBK21 CCD camera.

The dark spot is the shadow of one of the moons, and you can just
make out the Great Red Spot at the top.

http://piggo.com/~troy/photos/2009/2...er091023_1.jpg

All up I'm pretty happy with it. Suspect the scope needs some
tweaking of the collimation which should give a sharper image.
Will have to try that next time, haven't done it before.Nice one, Troy.

Beats my webcam-through-ETX attempt (of ten years ago):
http://faxmentis.org/html/jpg/jupiter-7-11-99.jpg

Since yours is 2500 stacked images, how come the moon is a dot, not a line?
:-)

--
Jeff R.