Old August 29th 09, 02:18 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jeff R.

Default Depth perception and contrasting colours

Doug Jewell wrote:
Others have suggested the different focal length for
different coloured light, but I don't think it would make
that much effect, plus if that was the cause it should still
be present with one eye closed. Also if that was the cause,
the stereo effect should increase as you get closer (as the
difference in focus increases), and disappear with distance.
Whereas I find the opposite, as I get closer the 3D effect
lessens, as I get further away it increases until I'm about
3ft from the monitor. I put it down to an effect caused by
the Bayer filter on the retina, and a slight bug in the
Brain's raw image convertor and 3D engine. ;-)

Don't forget our over-active built-in anti-aliasing filters...

The getting closer/further away effect is what got me started on all this.
I've just got a new set-top box on my telly, and it has a blue on/off LED.
When I'm sitting on the lounge, watching the box, (a large proportion of my
life) the LED appears to be buried deep within the bowels of the box. When
I look at it close-up, it appears to be flush with the front panel. More
trickery.

Of course, the conspiracy theorist in me says that the LED is mounted on
tracks, and it detects my position and retracts accordingly.

--
Jeff R.
(adjusting the tinfoil hat)