Old August 29th 09, 02:12 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jeff R.

Default Depth perception and contrasting colours

Savageduck wrote:
Color contrast is one of many testing and correction methods used in
optometry. A part of the Humphriss Immediate Contrast Test, is to
have two solid black square targets, one on a green field and one on a red
field. The
eyes are tested individually and then binocularly
Due to focus in front of the retina for the shorter wave length,
higher frequency green and behind for the longer WL, lower frequency
red, one target will appear sharper than the other until correcting lenses
balance the vision binocularly. Then the targets should be seen with
similar clarity.
This is one of the reasons the old 3D glasses were one green and one
red lens, they screwed with your binocular balance to create the
illusion of 3D.

Well, I use blue and red, but not to quibble.

The purpose of the coloured glasses in anaglyph 3D is (surely) only to
present different images to each eye - to separate the left image and make
it visible to the left eye, and vice versa.

Whilst I freely acknowledge the differential focussing you explained, I
don't think that has any effect on anaglyphs, which are essentially
monochrome.

I've been wrong before, though.

--
Jeff R.