Old February 3rd 09, 06:15 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Corey G.

Default Faking and expensive tilt-shift lens

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 20:54:44 -0000, "Focus" wrote:

"John A." wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:59:33 -0000, "Focus" wrote:

http://atlantic-diesel.com/Miniferrari.jpg

Of course the picture was taken with a normal lens. With PS, without
filters, you can create this effect quite easily.
Here's one tutorial:

http://martybugs.net/blog/blog.cgi/p...tTutorial.html

If you Google Fake shift tilt, you can find some very funny, interesting
pictures. Specially those taken from above look like it's some miniature
street or scene.

Neat. I did something similar to this image:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/john...-veteran-vespa

In this case the gradient mask was on the whole street surface, and
the scooter was meticulously traced so it would be sharp. And this was
before finding any such tutorial - heck, I didn't know what a
"tilt-shift" lens was then, though I've since learned and would like
to get one some day. I was only trying to amplify the DOF to emphasize
the scooter without the effect being too obvious.

I encountered one problem: With such sharp masking the blur would pull
color from the bike into the background, making a halo. I had to make
a cloned layer to blur, cloning the adjacent background colors into
the bike a bit to get a more realistic blur. Then I masked the
unaltered bike back in.

Very nicely done. But you lost me somehow with the technical part.
With the Ferrari I had now problem with the colors bleeding in the
background.

This is when you are better off using a plugin. I use "Depth Of Field
Generator PRO". I used to muck about with all that silly edge editing to
prevent the color/tone-bleed. This program does it for you, better than you
can do by hand.