Old April 6th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie

Default Canon scanner (CanoScan 8000-F)

In article ,
"John Vanini" wrote:

I have a Canon scanner (CanoScan 8000-F) and, some time ago, marks looking
exactly like moisture trails (I'm sure that's what they are) appeared all
over the inside of the glass.

I can't find a way of removing the glass, so that I can wipe the underside
clean, without risking breaking the plastic casing.

It was just outside the warranty period (isn't it always!) and Canon wanted
to charge me almost the same price as the cost of a new one.

This 'misting' affects everything I scan in but is worse for photographs
where they produce dull, flat areas, which I can't find a way of removing.

Does anyone know of how I might get inside the scanner to clean the glass,
please?

Regards

John

You could try turning it upside down and flushing a lot of distilled
water though it. Just don't wet the optics or, even worse, a greased
part. Once the glass is very clean you should be able to gently roll a
large bead of water across the glass so that no drops are left behind.
Use this trick as a final wash even if you do get the case open. A
paper towel's dust and residue will make a total mess of the optics.

A lot of small electronics has screws hidden under the label or under
the rubber feet. You can poke them with a needle to see if there's a
hollow space behind them.

--
Block Google's spam and enjoy Usenet again.
Reply with Google and I won't hear from you.