Old April 6th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Canon scanner (CanoScan 8000-F)

On Apr 5, 1:38*pm, "John Vanini" wrote:
I have a Canon scanner (CanoScan 8000-F) and, some time ago, marks looking
exactly like moisture trails (I'm sure that's what they are) appeared all
over the inside of the glass.

I can't find a way of removing the glass, so that I can wipe the underside
clean, without risking breaking the plastic casing.

It was just outside the warranty period (isn't it always!) and Canon wanted
to charge me almost the same price as the cost of a new one.

This 'misting' affects everything I scan in but is worse for photographs
where they produce dull, flat areas, which I can't find a way of removing.

Does anyone know of how I might get inside the scanner to clean the glass,
please?

Regards

John

Sorry to differ from the other replies, but my bet is that it is
either 'out-gassing' from the plastics or lubricants used in the
scanner (or perhaps something in your own environment, or possibly
even a bug of some kind. I've had a similar problem that turned out
to be a small caterpillar leaving trails across the glass, presumably
from a household moth..

By all means try the other method, but I think you will need to get
the scanner apart. Look carefully for screw covers, or they may be
under labels, then look for small slots along the joins, and gently
flex the case looking for areas that might hide hidden clips that
might be sprung via a flat bladed knife or similar. Also check
carefully around the glass itself - that may be the way in... If you
have a computer/camera fixit place nearby, why not just go ask them?
Those folks generally know the sort of assembly tricks used and may be
able to do the task quite cheaply.