Old April 5th 08, 09:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

Default Canon scanner (CanoScan 8000-F)

John Vanini wrote:
I have a Canon scanner (CanoScan 8000-F) and, some time ago, marks looking
exactly like moisture trails (I'm sure that's what they are) appeared all
over the inside of the glass.

I can't find a way of removing the glass, so that I can wipe the underside
clean, without risking breaking the plastic casing.

It was just outside the warranty period (isn't it always!) and Canon wanted
to charge me almost the same price as the cost of a new one.

This 'misting' affects everything I scan in but is worse for photographs
where they produce dull, flat areas, which I can't find a way of removing.

Does anyone know of how I might get inside the scanner to clean the glass,
please?

Regards

John

You might try putting the scanner in a cardboard box with a pound of
Silica Gel. Seal the box and let it stay for a day or two.

You can buy Silica gel at the pet shop as Cat Litter.
It is marketed as Litter Pearls, ExquisiCat Crystals, and TidyCat
Crystals. Scatter the silica gel on the bottom of the box to increase
the surface area for adsorption.
Bob Williams