Old January 28th 05, 10:00 AM
sid derra

"Tim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear all,

I am about to take the leap to digital and have been looking at the
current range of post £1000/$1000 DLSRs and am opting for the D70.
However I have read in magasines that the pictures taken by the D70
very often need to have levels/contrast fixed in Photoshop. Is this
your experience?

I am likely to edit my best shots in PS anyway, but if I am away on
vacation, I want to be able to shoot 200 pictures in JPG and get them
printed with minimum of fuss - am I looking at the wrong camera?

Last point, if the answer is "yes you have to fix all your pictures",
can I just set up a "Auto Levels/Auto Colors" action in PS, and
automate the lot? This would be an acceptable solution for me.
Your thoughts are appreciated.

Tim (UK)

hello tim

the d70 is a superb camera for the price you pay. i keep hearing that its
pictures need especially much post processing and have to say that this is
bull. most dslr's are alike in this point. if you take the pictures with the
right settings pre-set then you can minimize your photoshop wok - however -
it is somewhat equivalent to what you can do in the dark room with analog
cameras. one thing why photoshop is named a lot in connection with the d7-
simply is the fact that the raw format allows you additional functionality
in post processing, which is a good thing and pointed out in most reviews.

there is no problem with setting up an action like you suggested, however,
the auto-functions in photoshop are good, but they are not perfect, so you
might actually make some images look worse than the original versions, or
give away some of the potential you could get out of a shot by manually
tweaking the settings. i would compare it to having your analog pictures
developed by a big lab, which automatiacally tweaks pictures's levels,
compared to having it done in a pro lab or yourself in a dark room, where yo
u can evaluate each image on its own.

i hope i could help
sid