Old May 27th 04, 02:24 AM
Raphael Bustin

Default M/F film scanners - again?

On Wed, 26 May 2004 18:36:43 +0100, Rod
wrote:

I see some good close out deals on the Minolta scan multi II. How
much difference would I see in A3 prints for the 12 bit A/D compared
with the 16 bit A/D of the Scan multi pro or the 14 bit of the
Microtek Artixscan 120TF? Resolution isn't an issue as I'm scanning
medium format for A3 prints. Looking for scans at least comparable
with those I'm getting from 35mm on the Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED.

Get the LS-9000 and be done with it.

It's at least as good as the LS-8000, and
available new at 2/3 the price I paid for mine
three years ago.

By any measure, the LS-8000 (and presumably
the 9000) is one of the sharpest CCD scanners
available.

Or get a preowned or refurb 8000 on eBay,
typically $1K these days.

The film scanner is as important (to the image)
as the camera and film that made the image in
the first place. Not a good place to skimp.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com