Old December 21st 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Graham Fountain

Default End of an Era

jeremy wrote:
"David Kilpatrick" wrote in message
jeremy wrote:
Well, many of us sensed that it was coming.

Pentax had been a longtime user of Hoya optical glass, but to see Hoya
swallow Pentax us is disconcerting.

They had already swallowed a big chunk of Pentax, as their subsidiary
brand Tokina makes most of the popular lenses (not the special stuff)

David

I was hoping that Pentax might release a full crop digital body that would
take their older 35mm lenses, but that appears to be a pipe dream now. Time
to start looking for a new camera brand.

I don't know about that - with the new company having approximately 20x
the capitalisation of Pentax, I think the chances of them progressing
more rapidly are significantly higher. There is nothing wrong with
Hoya/Tokina optics, and now they have a camera system to match their
stuff to. With more money to throw around for things like R&D,
marketing, and quite possibly some new high end gear, the brand can only
improve. Before you jump ship, just remember that Canon don't have
approx 70% market share (in Australia at least, not sure about rest of
the world) because they are any better than the competition, it's simply
because they have been marketed better.