Old February 20th 11, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Default DL in the field

Alan Justice wrote,on my timestamp of 20/02/2011 5:50 AM:

One reason to replace my computer on the internet is that OE6 does not
handle some of the graphics, so some sites are not accessible, and I can't
upgrade using Win 98, which I can't upgrade with low RAM etc. I have
Charter cable for TV, but I get such awful service that I won't give them
more money for internet. If I need better internet acces temporarily, such
as uploading images to my website, I go to a public computer nearby. So I
figure I could get a portable computer to use at home and on the road. I
only need a display that is good enough for reviewing in the field. So
what's the difference between a "netbook," a "notebook," and a "laptop?"
(For someone who started computer programming in 1969, I sure haven't kept
up.)

For your purposes there is not much difference nowadays, other than capacity of
disks and screen size. Rules of thumb (not to be cast in stone):

netbooks: small 10" screen, disk around 150GB mark, memory at around 1GB.
Very light, great for saving images on the road and for quick presentations but
little else. They usually have great connectivity.

notebook: medium 13" screen, disk around 300GB, memory at 2GB.
Mostly for portable use like a netbook, but in a pinch can do desktop work.

laptop: 15" and larger screen, disk starting at 500GB, memory starting at 4GB.
With care in selection of desktop screen, it can replace a desktop computer for
most folks. It is a heavy beast though, so don't count on carrying it in a hand
purse...

As to which can replace a general purpose desktop, I'd go for a laptop. Mine is
also a Samsung but with 1TB of disk, 8GB of memory, 64-bit Win7 and a corei5
cpu. It's a beast but I run multiple virtual boxes inside it for database
testing, so that's a special need. It was relatively cheap, considering the
specs. You don't want to know about my desktop...

However, I don't think any laptop out there will do a good job for colour
handling with a native screen, with some very rare - and expensive! -
exceptions. If you want to do even average image editing you'll need a good
desktop screen to connect the laptop to, with correct profiles and colour
balanced. That is expensive, so be prepared for the hit. You don't need an
Eizo Flexscan, but a mall special won't do either.

Having said that, with patience and care you can get pretty near to a good setup
by just loading the appropriate profiles for whatever desktop screen you pick,
taking care to check it on some of the sites used for colour testing and
balancing the lot with something like Adobe Gamma, which comes free with
Photoshop Elements. I used a similar setup for years and it works fine.

Just be aware that a laptop used as a desktop will never be as fast as a same
generation dedicated desktop. But if all you want is the occasional internet
access and basic to medium image processing, then it works perfectly fine.

Count on a grander and a half for the laptop and half a grand for the screen,
plus ancillary bits and pieces. But of course prices vary wildly and you may be
able to get a much better deal.