Old August 23rd 04, 01:43 PM
jjs

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message
news:55cWc.180653$M95.89271@pd7tw1no...
Where do I start. I want to get a better grip on my whole photographic
process. How do I go about calibrating my camera, development and printing
process?

Others will (or have) recommended "The Negative" and "Beyond the Zone
System", but I would recommend that you NOT start with those books. The Zone
System is far simpler to implement than either of those tomes would suggest.

Please consider getting "Way Beyond Monochrome" by Ralph W. Lambrecht and
Chris Woodhouse. The book is broken up into manageable parts, many of which
you can simply skip over and return to when you find it necessary - or not.
The authors make a quick-course of the Zone System exposure in one chapter
which is very good. You can then read about calibrating your prints and
negatives in another chapter.