Old December 6th 07, 08:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
RobertL

Default film quality for different speeds

On Dec 5, 9:52 pm, "Norm Fleming" wrote:
"H.S." wrote in message

-Free...

Unless you are planning to do the dark room work including optical

printing
(or high resolution film scanning/digital printing) yourself, don't bother.
It you take your film for commercial processing these days, the film will be
developed and digitally scanned at the lowest possible resolution, and you
will be given very poor quality digital prints that have no detail
whatsoever, noticable pixels and wierd colours and look like something
produced in your grandpa's bathroom in the 1950s.

yes, I notice this particularly because I use an antique stereo viewer
which likes 6x4 inch prints. Because these are enlarged by the
viewer you become very aware of the resolution of the scanned image.
not surprisingly, prints are done at a resolution appropriater for
normal viewing at the chosen size. In the past, prints seem to have
had a resolution much better than the naked eye could detect.

Robert