Old December 5th 07, 09:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

Default film quality for different speeds

"H.S." wrote:

Hello,

I recall lower ISO speed films were considered to be less grainy, and
also that the improvement in film technology was reducing that
graininess with time.

I have an old Canon Sure Shot Classic 120 35mm camera and I am thinking
of playing with it in the coming few weeks -- with negative as well as
with slide film. Due to its smaller aperture, a higher speed film is
recommended (200 or 400).

Any feedback on how good are 400 and 800 ISO films now a days in
graininess as compared to ISO 100? Which films would you recommend.BTW,
this is not for professional photos, but I also don't want the lower end
of consumer films either.

For ISO 400 print film, try Fujicolor Pro 400H which is no more grainy
than a typical ISO 100 emulsion of five years ago. If you absolutely
*must* have an ISO 800 film, there is Fujicolor Pro 800Z, but it is
more grainy and less saturated than 400H.

If you have difficulty obtaining these professional colour print
films, you will also get good results with Fujicolor Superia Extra 400
and 800 which are more consumer oriented.

I would not recommend slide film for your camera, because its light
metering is set up for print film, however with the right camera,
Fujichrome Provia 400X is an exceptionally good ISO 400 slide film
which is no more grainy than a typical ISO 100 slide film of five
years ago.

The mass move to digital has blinded many people to the significant
improvements in abilities of modern films.