Old March 22nd 11, 08:38 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Better Info[_6_]

Default Tweaking monitor calibration

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 12:52:20 -0400, Tom Stiller

(Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

However... note the story above about the friend's
mother! I can't do that. Not even close. Consider how
that works with sound too, which we see demonstrations
of every day by talented musicians, so I for one have no
problem believing that lady did the same thing with
color. Not all musicians, but perhaps most, can whistle
any given note, on call. If they sing or play multiple
instruments, they can often hit a given note within a
few Hz at will on all of them. And then they can go
down the road to the next music shop, pick up a violin
for example, and tune it to within a few Hz of exactly
what they played on a piano two days before. That's the
same as selecting the colors of cloth.

Unlike sound, there is always "clutter" in vision experiments outside
the laboratory. Surrounds, lighting, and other factors distort the
mind's perception. Consider:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomstiller/5550052613/

Yet a musician or talented perfect-pitch singer can produce a given note on
cue, even in the middle of a full orchestra that's playing, or even during
the cacophony during warm-up. Explain how a musician can perfectly tune
their instrument during an orchestra's warm-up. The same is true for color
acuity.

Whenever a scene on my monitor is overwhelmed by a color-tint and I'm
needing to adjust it, then I merely swipe my eyes across the room to reset
their fatigued color perception. If instead the scene is real and is
overwhelmed by the colors of a sunset and there is no base-average to reset
my color acuity, I take into account all I know and clearly remember about
sunsets to realize that it is being flooded with reds and blues, adjusting
my perception of colors accordingly. This isn't rocket-surgery.

Just because you and others can't do it, doesn't mean that all can't do it.
Some people would rather dwell on the excuses of why they can't do it, or
invent excuses for why they can't do it.

"See? He can't do it because of X, that's why I can't do it because of X.
Therefore it follows that nobody can do it because of X."

Wrong.