Old May 11th 11, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Default Real portability? Nikon and Pentax are working on it

Bruce wrote:
Bowser wrote:

Not until the Af improves. For all the hype, the AF systems (at least
the models I've tried) still can't touch SLR AF. So if you need to shoot
moving subjects you are better served by an SLR.

That's changing, though not as rapidly as I thought.

It'd better be.

The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GH2 has an ultra-fast contrast-detect AF
system that would shame most of today's DSLRs.

Dpreview, while impressed (for a CDAF), doesn't think the AF
"would shame most of today's DSLRs" ... I read there that
they'd prefer a DSLR for fast action.

I'd like to see tests in bad conditions (low light, low contrast,
both, etc.) with reliable numbers for from misfocussed to shot
time.

It is fast, decisive
and extremely accurate - the latter cannot be truthfully said of many
DSLRs' phase-detect systems, which tend to have systematic errors.

There are also systematic errors in sensor mountings, lens mounts
and lenses --- guess how many lenses are actually 100% parallel
to the sensor. Most PDAFs function very well, thank you.

-Wolfgang