Old October 3rd 09, 08:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Good!

Default Plastic proves itself as CRAP again

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 18:07:24 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

Poor little brand new Nikon 18-55mm VR. Brand new. Nice glass,
sharp. Nice VR. TERRIBLE plastic lens mount. Camera took a spill,
cheap plastic flange on bayonet snaps off like a spaghetti noodle.
Forget the B.S. about strong re-inforced plastic. It is ALL garbage.
From the description of the fall, NOTHING would have happened to a
metal-mount lens except for a dinged filter or cracked PLASTIC hook.
Instead, the lens breaks out of the camera mount!!

This is the price of $140 kit lenses. The lens is now unusable. The
repair bill from Nikon is 2x the lens cost.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/117841934

I like it.

People who are that much of fumbling idiots don't deserve to own any
cameras. I took a spill down a terminal-moraine from a glacier one time, I
had the wherewithal to keep the camera above the rocks and rubble the whole
way down. I deserve to own a camera. You do not.