Old September 14th 04, 06:40 PM
Richard Tomkins

Found it, here are the actual test results I posted last week.I sat down
with my three Compact Flash cards and did some basic timing with
a watch with a seconds hand. This, compared to my previous post, where I had
been estimating time.

Here are my findings.

Shooting at full resoluiton in RAW NEF mode, camera is setup for USB
transfers and I format the card before running the test.

E5700 Firmware version 1.1

Shika Flash Turbo 256MB
format card by camera
1 picture takes about 45 seconds to store and then release the camera.
3 pictures taken sequentially, the camera is released for another pricture
at 48 seconds, and a complete release of the camera at 2 minutes, 12
seconds.

SanDisk 256MB
format card by camera
1 picture takes about 30 seconds to store and then release the camera.
3 pictures taken sequentially, the camera is released for another pricture
at 34 seconds, and a complete release of the camera at 1 minute, 26 seconds.

NIKON SanDisk 32MB
format card by camera
1 picture takes about 25 seconds to store and then release the camera.
format card by camera
3 pictures taken sequentially, the camera is released for another pricture
at 25 seconds, and a complete release of the camera at 1 minute, 6 seconds.

My conclusions from this test is that there is a distinct measurable
difference between the storage times of the three cards that I have and
thier interoperation with the NIKON 5700. I further conclude that I was
misled by the verbage on the Shika card, believing it to be faster and thus
shooting with it most of hte time when I should have been using the SanDisk.

Couple this information wiht that from others and it would seem that the
camera does react to Compact Flash card speed, but as to how much is not
known. NIKON are definately not passing on complete or accurate information
about this camera and the Compact Flash cards. The 8700 is a CoolPIX and if
it does support the Lexar WA, then the NIKON statement that CoolPIX do not
is bogus.

Now on to another question, what settings in the camera could possibly
influence the storage times. I did my tests with my camera set to User Mode
C1, which I have some typical things predefined, possibly these setting are
causing the DSP inside to work on the data before it gets stored or what?

rtt