Old March 22nd 16, 01:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

Default Photography, the Hard Way

On 3/21/2016 5:03 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 09:29:36 -0400, PAS wrote:

On 3/18/2016 3:47 PM, -hh wrote:
PAS wrote:
-hh wrote:
PAS wrote:
Back when I got my first DSLR and a 256MB CF card cost $80.00, I bought
a Tripper portable storage device. It has a whopping 30GB drive in it.
I think the Hyperdrives I bought (circa 2006) were about the same; ...
After using my Tripper for some time, I eventually upgraded by buying a
housing and a 80GB hard drive and "building" my own.
I recall hitting some sort of addressability barrier that 120GB was
the max mine could use ... but even after I upgraded them, it really
wasn't all that much longer before I just bought more cards to leave
that weight/bulk at home.

With the low cost of large CF cards, I don't use that one anymore.
Same here. I think I'm at roughly 300GB and Savageduck's post said
about the same, reporting 208GB.

If I ever find myself shooting a lot and needing to back up my
files such as when on a trip, then it would probably be wise to
invest in a unit with a large capacity if I don't carry a laptop
with me.
The last trip that I can recall carrying a laptop with me *and*
actually working on images while on the trip was IIRC back in 2010...

...so my thoughts today are to just plan ahead and if buying more
cards is the easy path, then to do so. It looks like B&H has a
two-pack of 32GB Lexar 800x for $65, which is a lot less than what
the cost per GB was a decade ago ($100 per GB -- $6500 worth).

-hh

At the time I bought the Tripper, the cost was about $320.00 for four
cards amounting to 1GB. I'm sure I could have found some for less but
not that much less. This is the price Cameta Camera was charging and
they had then, and do today, have very competitive pricing. Like all
things computer-related, who would have thought then how the prices for
things would be so low now. I recall waiting in line at CompUSA to buy
an internal hard drive to expand my system. It was being sold for an
unheard-of-price of $150.00. The line was ridiculously long. The hard
drive was 5.7GB (that's five-point-seven).

I remember paying about US$3000 for an 8" 10MB, I couldn't then have
conceived the capacities now available and their price.

I wasn't using a back in those days. My first use was at the office I
work in now about 21 years ago. We used Windows 3.1 then. When I
bought my first PC, it came with Windows 95b and it had a whopping 3 GB
hard drive and a 200mhz processor with (I think) 8MB of memory. It came
with a 15" monitor and a pretty good set of Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers.
It cost around $2,200.00. What I could build with $2,200.00 worth of
components now.