Old March 18th 16, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Photography, the Hard Way

On Mar 18, 2016, hh wrote
(in ):

PAS wrote:

Back when I got my first DSLR and a 256MB CF card cost $80.00, I bought
a Tripper portable storage device. It has a whopping 30GB drive in it.

I think the Hyperdrives I bought (circa 2006) were about the same;
40GB comes to mind.

I think it cost me around $250.00 when I got it. It still works but
there's no need for it now with such a small amount of storage.

IIRC, I updated my Hyperdrives to 120GB ... and then realized that
CF cards were becoming so much cheaper that I'm not even sure if
they even ever got used after they got upgraded. Probably should
look to sell them soon before they're completely obsolete/worthless.

I have a whole bunch of 750MB, 1GB & 2GB CF cards, all gathering dust and of
little value.Hardly even considering trying to sell.
I don’t shoot video so these days I buy capacities that make economic
sense, usually fast 32GB SD (I have 5x32GB, 4x8GB and 1x16GB SDHC) cards.

I haven’t needed to buy new CF cards for some time as the bunch of 8GB and
16GB Sandisc CF's I have for my D300S are doing fine, and in the worst case
scenario the D300S has a secondary SD slot along with the CF slot. I usually
have an 8 or 16GB SD card in the secondary slot to handle overflow if I am
trigger happy at an airshow, or I could use the secondary slot to mirror the
primary CF card. In the past I tried recording RAW files to the CF card and
JPEGs to the SD, but while that might have been useful for some folks
(particularly now that Reuters wants original JPEGs) it wasn’t much more
than a novelty for me.

As for on the road back-up, my ColorSpace UDMA(1) is now running a 1 TB HDD.
I have thought about putting an SSD for a speed boost and battery life
improvement, but that is really not necessary. I am tempted by the WiFi
capability of the new UDMA3, but I don’t really need that.

Savageduck