Old March 18th 16, 02:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Photography, the Hard Way

On 2016-03-17 22:00:19 +0000, Mort said:
Davoud wrote:
http://profoto.com/blog/fine-art-pho...n-ruhter-creat
ing-largest-wet-plate-collodion-ambrotype-world/

In many years of taking digital photos, using SanDisk SD cards, I have
had only one bad card. That did not work in my camera, but it did in
my computer and my printer,so the pix were not lost.

After retrieving the image files and loading them on your computer,
format the SD card in-camera.

There is available a small portable battery operated unit that takes a
photo SD card and quickly burns the pix to a CD-R. It is useful in the
field.

As part of my triple redundant, on the road back-up protocol, I use a
HyperDrive ColorSpace UDMA which does full and incremental card
back-ups without the need for a computer. I still have my original
version bought in 2009, they are now up to UDMA3. It reads CF, SD, and
several other card types.
http://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-colorspace-udma3

Back when I got my first DSLR and a 256MB CF card cost $80.00, I bought
a Tripper portable storage device. It has a whopping 30GB drive in it.

http://timg.danawa.com/prod_img/larg...1/120754_1.jpg

I think it cost me around $250.00 when I got it. It still works but
there's no need for it now with such a small amount of storage.

Yup! These days 30GB is a tad cramped. The other thing I like about the
UDMA is having a reasonable size display for browsing without a
computer, and that it behaves like any other portable HDD when
connected to a computer.

I got my UDMA with a 250GB drive in 2009 and I have since replaced that
with a 1TB drive. I am still using the original battery which has been
long lived, but it might be prudent to replace that soon. The UDMA has
proven to be a great back-up tool and on one trip saved the day when
D300+ 3CF cards were stolen in South Africa. I only lost the 6 shots I
had taken the morning of the theft.

I transfer images from camera to laptop via a locked SD card; never by
cable or wi-fi.

Mort Linder

I use whatever transfer method is convenient at the time, cable linked
reader for CF cards, built-in SD card reader, WiFi, from the ColorSpace
UDMA. None of them has failed me yet.

Savageduck