Old October 10th 03, 06:21 PM
Ken Hart

Default Any advantages of conventional over digital?

"Rob Wild" wrote in message

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote:

A footnote. Control. With a manual film camera, you don't even have
to take the image in focus, if you so not wish to do so. You can also
use a slow shutter speed to blur motion. Certainly auto everything
(film or digital) does not offer this level of artistic control. I
cannot say how well digital cameras allow you to blur focus or blur
speed. But manual controls put the decision in the hands of the
photographer, not the computer.

Francis A. Miniter

A small rebuttal to your footnote:

Most "auto-everything" slr cameras usually have a fully manual mode, and
additionally, many auto-focus lenses usually have a manual focus option
included. Hence, it is possible to be very artisic and creative (keeping
in context with your PoV, even though you can still be creative in the
auto-everything modes I believe) in this manual mode.

cheers

Rob

I agree with both gentlemen regarding manual mode allowing more "artistic"
(or lack thereof!) control. My followup question is how many digital cameras
have manual modes, and how well do they work? If the exposure is off by a
stop or two (by accident or neccessity), how will the digital image compare
to the negative image?

Thanks
Ken