Old October 11th 18, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On 10/11/2018 10:53 AM, MC wrote:
Ron C wrote:

On 10/11/2018 8:38 AM, MC wrote:
nospam wrote:

unfortunately, windows update is poorly implemented, often
occurring at the worst possible time.

I never know when mine is updating until I go to shut down. I then
see the "Update and Shut down" rather than just "Shut down" on the
Start menu. Then when I reboot next day it just goes into
"Configuring windows" for a couple of minutes and straight back to
desktop. No fuss, no bother, painless and straightforward. I see
no problem whatsoever and certainly no "worse possible time".

MC

I was running a test of a Halloween lighting program on a Win 10
machine and several hours into the test the damn machine did
an unexpected reboot. I normally run the program continuously
starting a few days before Halloween. seems the activity monitor
doesn't know this program is running. I've never had a Win 7
machine reboot on its own.
The last thing one wants is for the system to go down in the
middle of a 'show'.

Windows 10 is designed to ensure updates do, indeed, take place. It is
not, however, designed to update when it feels like it. This is so
that workflow is not disrupted. There are ways built into Windows 10
to allow you to control when (not if) and how the update is
implemented. If the update options and controls are set up correctly
on your PC then any disruptions to your "show" will not happen.

MC

The reboot took place in the middle of the "normal use" window so I
was quite surprised by this. I wasn't in the room at the time so I don't
know if there was a "system will reboot in xx minutes" type warning.
I have no idea what triggered the reboot .. I looked up, noticed that
the lights stopped working, went down stairs and found the computer
had rebooted.
~~
So... I guess I need some educating. What option settings should I
check to keep this from happening again?
--
==
Later...