Old May 9th 07, 12:31 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.technique.art
Bill Tuthill

Default Interview with Henry Wilhelm on print permanence

In rec.photo.digital Kennedy McEwen wrote:

Has anybody had success with some paper or other (with dye-based ink)?

They all last when displayed under glass, as is now recommended by Epson
for dye based inks. However, I have several dye prints on Matte
Heavyweight and Archival Matte (although Epson suggest this is for
pigment only) which have been open to the elements in my kitchen (quite
a severe environment given cooking by-products) for several years.
Whilst they look OK, they are only in direct sunlight during late
afternoon and early evening and not at all in winter. If you are really
after long print life though, don't use dye inks - Epson or otherwise.

Thanks!

I really don't like the look of Epson Heavyweight Matte, although I did
chew thru a box of it recently, so we'll see what happens.

Recently there was a fad about microencapsulated inks, or something, for
example Epson Colorlife paper. That fad passed, maybe due to high cost,
or possibly it didn't work. Colorlife paper is discontinued now.

Glass framing is rather silly for cheapo inkjet prints, it seems to me.
Better to spend the extra money on RA-4 photographic prints.