Old March 3rd 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Ilford Rapid fix Q

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 18:38:39 GMT, "Richard Knoppow"
wrote:

You are comparing apples with oranges. It is the
difference in the developer you are seeing, not differences
in the film. Perceptol or Kodak Microdol-X (virtually
identical) are extra-fine-grain developers. When used on a

I realize that. However, I've also done rolls of Acros and Delta 100
in the same chemistry (Kodak TMax in that case - it wasn't my setup) -
the Acros grain was still tighter, with greater detail.

I prefer DD-X to D-76/ID-11 for HP5+ - I've got consistently better
results. I don't normally shoot much Delta 100, but I push Delta 400
in DD-X to 800 and 1600 because I actually like the resultant grain,
and because DD-X is more convenient for me to deal with.

For Acros, I process in Perceptol because I feel that Acros' already
fine grain benefits from an extra-fine grain developer. And, I like
the results. PanF+ in DD-X tends to get hard to control the density,
and I've found that Ilfosol at 1+14 still gives good grain and
tonality while avoiding the tendency to block in the highlights.
--
Rob on the Web - Trouble In Paradise
http://rob.rnovak.net