Old March 23rd 13, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default Food for thought, camera access to events

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 07:46:34 -0500, George Kerby
wrote:
:
: When working at a local camera store in the 70's we had a lady come in who
: had just received a tele lens for Christmas and was befuddled about the "ƒ"
: mark on the lens barrel. My buddy tried to explain to the elderly patron
: that it was the symbol for infinity. The lady looked befuddled and asked if
: that was in feet or meters. Hitch tried to explain that it didn't really
: matter because it was simply 'infinite', to which she asked the similar
: question, "Is that farther than the moon?".

Just for the record, George, "elderly" is not a synonym for "stupid" or
"ignorant". For every person of my age that you encounter who doesn't know
what the symbol for infinity means, I'm sure I could find you someone fifty
years younger who doesn't know either.

And as they tell you in the first chapter of most calculus books, there are
such things as infinite numbers, but "infinity" is not a number. ;^)

Bob